After a long couple of days of a liquid diet to prepare for some routine testing the last thing I wanted to do last night was cook. But I was hungry! I didn’t want fast food or anything too greasy. I had a few “do-able” ingredients on hand and decided to create a stir fry. I love having a stir fry – there are so many ways you can make them. No matter what I use, beef, chicken, pork, shrimp or veggies, I always use my tried-and-true stir fry sauce. It is so easy and very, very tasty!
The stir fry I made last night was with pork loin strips, green and orange bell peppers over brown rice sprinkled with chopped walnuts. It’s what I had on hand in the fridge. A stir fry can go together and cook in basically 10 to 15 minutes! So, next time you want something good but don’t feel like spending loads of time in the kitchen and have opted against fast food, try a stir fry meal!
Super Easy & Quick Stir Fry
- 1 pound pork loin strips or skirt steak strips, chicken strips, shrimp, etc.
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- add in anything you desire to make this your own – broccoli, snow peas, asparagus, mushrooms, etc.
- handful of chopped walnuts or cashews or whatever nut you prefer
- Individual microwavable rice cups (i.e. Minute Rice (not advertising). Comes in packs of two. You can get brown, white, long grain, etc.
1. heat a couple of tablespoons of cooking oil in the pan on med to high heat.
2. add the meat and cook until browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes.
3. add in all the other ingredients and keep stirring for about a minute.
4. turn off the heat and add the stir fry sauce stirring to coat everything. It will thicken quickly. Remove pan from heat.
5. put the rice cup in the microwave for 1 minute each cup (that’s what it says on the package!)
Put the rice into 2 bowls, add the stir fry on top, sprinkle with nuts.
Stir Fry Sauce:
- 1 cup water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (you can use the envelope of bouillon instead)
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (or you can use 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic)
1. Mix all together in a mason jar and shake!
That’s all there is to it! Give it a try and let me know how you liked it! Or even better, share some of your creative stir fry recipes here with me!